Dr. Morgan Barnes
Dr. Morgan Barnes organized and coached the first football team at Grove City College, guiding the squad to a 3-2 record in 1892. Although he only coached one season, his impact can still be felt at the College.
In addition to coaching the original football team, he chose crimson as the official College color, and also inaugurated an organized cheering program.
Born on a farm near Mercer in 1870, Dr. Barnes' association with Grove City College began when he enrolled in the Preparatory Department at age 15. Four years later, he enrolled at Harvard, entering as a sophomore. He graduated from Harvard in 1891 with a doctorate in modern and classical languages.
Dr. Barnes then spent a year completing graduate studies in Germany at the University of Heidelberg, returning to Grove City as an instructor of Latin in 1892.
After teaching at Westminster College, Dr. Barnes
moved to California and spent 30 years teaching at the Thacher School in Ojai, a
private boarding school for boys (now a co-ed
institution). He became the school's headmaster in his later years there.
He returned to western Pennsylvania as a professor of English and vice president of Edinboro Normal School before joining the Grove City College faculty as a professor of English in 1950 at age 80.
During his long career devoted to public service, Dr. Barnes became a charter member of the Pennsylvania George Junior Republic, one of the country's largest, non-profit residential treatment communities for at-risk youth, serving more than 1,000 disadvantaged children from throughout the nation.
In 1949, the GJR dedicated its administrative and elementary school buildings in his honor.
Morgan Barnes married Jane Dale of Grove City in 1904 and they had a son and a daughter. They are survived by five grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren. Dr. Barnes passed away in 1963.