November 16, 2013

Wolverines fall to Stevenson in shootout

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Grove City College women's soccer team battled hard through regulation and two overtimes to a 2-2 draw with top-seeded Stevenson, but the Mustangs edged the Wolverines 7-6 in a shootout to advance from Saturday night's ECAC South Tournament semifinal.

Seniors Shannon Bishop (Grove City, Pa./Grove City) and Sarah Cessar (Slippery Rock, Pa./Slippery Rock) each scored for the Wolverines while fellow senior Chelsea Tarolli (Syracuse, N.Y./Marcellus) added an assist.

Stevenson (14-7-3) controlled play in the first half, outshooting Grove City (12-9-2) 9-0 overall and 3-0 on goal. However, senior goalkeeper Tiffany Yost (Christiana, Pa./Living Word Academy) stopped all three shots on target to keep the Wolverines alive.

The Wolverines came out much stronger in the second half, and Bishop got the Wolverines on the board in the 57th minute when she dribbled down the left side of the box and made a great move to beat a defender for a one-on-one with the Stevenson goalkeeper.

 The Mustangs answered quickly, as Mackenzie Calhoun followed up a diving deflection by junior Kristi Lathrop (Flemington, N.J./Hunterdon Central) to even the score at 1-1 in the 58th minute.

Stevenson continued their momentum and took the lead just a few minutes later on a 63rd minute goal from Alexis Siejak.

Grove City continued to battle, and Cessar evened the score at 2-2 by finishing a cross from Tarolli for her seventh goal of the season. For Tarolli, it was her team-leading seventh assist.

Stevenson nearly scored the final goal with just five minutes remaining in regulation, but Lathrop was able to stretch and punch the ball off the crossbar and then collect it to send the match into overtime.

After a quiet first overtime period, the Wolverines had a chance to end the game late in the second overtime. Cessar played a cross into the left side of the box in transition but senior Sam Weber (Freeport, Pa./Freeport) couldn't get enough of a foot on it to control for a strong shot.

In the shootout, each side made its first five shots, sending it into sudden death. After makes on both sides in round six, Stevenson's Alicia Greene stopped Leah Wilt's shot to give the Mustangs a chance. However, Yost, who played in goal for the shootout, stopped Kaitlyn Kalendek's attempt to keep the shootout tied 6-6.

In round eight, Bishop's shot hit the crossbar and Stevenson converted their attempt to end the shootout.

Yost played the first half and shootout in goal while Lathrop played the second half and the two overtime sessions.

Box Score

Go back to Wolverine Soccer Home Page